Friday, May 25, 2012

Recipe: Sourdough Pancakes

The sourdough bug has taken hold.  I'd had starter a few times in the past, be it sourdough or "friendship" bread, but inevitably life would take over and the starter would find itself in the compost heap once I'd managed to starve it to death.

Several weeks ago, I was able to enjoy some homemade pita bread at a fellow LLL mom's house.  When I asked for the recipe, she informed me that she'd used her starter for it and gave me some to take home (along with the recipe).

Since then, I've been playing with a few different recipes.  I've found that the most useful so far is the following recipe for pancakes that I adapted from this site.  Why so useful?  Well, if you're keeping your starter out on your countertop, it's important to feed it twice a day.  In so doing, you can quickly end up with a LOT of starter.  Many recipes only use a half cup to a cup of starter.  This one uses TWO cups.  It's a great way to use up starter and it makes the easiest, tastiest pancakes.

Sourdough Pancakes
  • 2 cups sourdough starter at room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons agave nectar or brown rice syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 egg or banana (or egg substitute)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Warm water (just a splash for dissolving the baking soda)


In a large bowl, add the first four ingredients and mix.  I use my trusty stand mixer.

In a glass, add the baking soda and just a splash of warm water.  Stir until the soda is fully dissolved.  Add the soda solution to the batter and gently fold in.  It'll foam a tad and rise.

Heat a skillet, pan, or griddle to medium high heat.  (I use a crepe pan.)  Add oil or fat as desired.  Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the hot pan and cook until bubbly and the edges are set.  Flip and cook for another thirty seconds to one minute or so.

Typically this recipes yields about ten pancakes for me.  Yours may vary.


If you try this recipe, feel free to let me know how it works out of you.  We've had a lot of success with it and it's already a family favorite.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...