"It's the only nice, comfortably shirt that I have," he explained.
He does have a few nicer-looking button-up shirts, but they're mostly polyester. The shirt he was wearing was 100% linen, the perfect choice for a hot day.
The next day, I headed to my local fabric store. My husband wanted linen (which I can get inexpensively at LA's fabric district), but I thought I'd see what was available nearby. I found two good 100% cotton options; a tiki print in blues and browns, and a red plaid. I bought both.
The pattern recommended no obvious diagonals, so I purchased more of the tiki print than recommended. Really the only issues were the yoke and collar, but the extra fabric allowed me to cut them on the cross grain to keep the pattern upright.
|His "catalog" pose|
The pattern and instructions were pretty straight-forward. The project worked up quickly and easily. I was able to do everything by machine, too; including the buttons.
My husband loves the new shirt and claims it to be very comfortable.
While I've started the red plaid shirt, I haven't found time yet to finish it.